Hiking trips are not only fun, but you can capture the best nature photos. Unfortunately, because of all the movement and activity, they can put unwanted wear and tear on your camera – and your body! That’s why it's important to get a great backpack that can protect your equipment and not put extra strain on your body.
Before you buy a backpack for hiking and photography, here are important things to consider:
- The amount of space you need
- What gear you’ll have with you
- If you want to fit non-camera items like food and jackets
- Whether you’ll want a compartment for a laptop or tablet
- If you’ll be doing day hikes or extended backpacking trips
Key Features for a Hiking Photography Backpack
There are plenty of hiking backpacks on the market that are built for backpacking trips, day trips, and even specifically for photographers. When deciding which one you want, make sure to look for:
- Access points from the top, side, and back
- A compartment for your camera with padding
- Extra organization and storage
- Hip belt, chest strap, and padded shoulder straps
- Tablet or laptop storage
- Tripod storage
- Water storage
Why Use a Camera Harness for Hiking
If you’re looking for a way to carry your camera securely while still being able to access it when needed on your hiking trip, you might consider using a camera harness. Having a good camera harness ensures your camera’s security, comfort while carrying, and easy deployment.
When looking for a camera harness that will work on a hiking trip, there are a few features you should look out for:
- Can carry your equipment, whether that be one or multiple cameras
- Provides excellent accessibility but doesn’t inhibit movement
- Easy to put on and take off
- Come with extra security to prevent accidental drops
- Fits comfortably with a backpack.
Cotton Carrier Camera Harnesses
Cotton Carrier camera harnesses come in a variety of styles and sizes that accommodate your camera and additional gear. We strive to provide all types of active photographers the harnesses they need to access their cameras quickly while ensuring its safety. Our harnesses are lightweight and can be worn with backpacks should you still need it for other hiking-related gear.
CCS G3 Strapshot
CCS G3 Strapshot for one camera is more than just a camera carrier, it is perfect for using with a bag because this system attaches directly to your backpack. With this unique design, your camera will never be stuck inside your bag.
CCS G3 Harnesses
The G3 Harness carries a camera along with multiple items while fitting comfortably under a backpack. Its ergonomic design distributes the weight of your gear to help lessen fatigue on long hiking trips. With this double-strap harness, active photographers can work longer periods of time without needing to go digging through a camera bag for their gear.
Our sling-style harness keeps your camera close to your body, ergonomically designed to hug your core. The harness fits comfortably under a backpack and offers great stability and weight distribution, so you can easily access your camera but still hold it comfortably on your hikes.
To explore more accessories and camera harnesses for hiking, check out our stock.